“I’ve always believed that your healthy lifestyle is an entry point to help you build that happier life. When your health is strong, you’re capable of taking risks. You’ll feel more confident to ask for that promotion. You’ll have more energy to be a better mom. You’ll feel more deserving of love.” -Jillian Michaels.
Hello to all of you beautiful Wellness Wednesday ladies and gents! My name is Sheeva and I have had the pleasure of being in the fitness industry for over 15 years. For someone who has struggled with anxiety and depression for years (mainly from a hormone imbalance) and ADHD, I have had no choice but to stay healthy or my quality of life would be low. I was on at least 4 medications and through my journey to lose weight, get off my medications, and teach my clients what works best for them, I have learned it ALL. I do want to preface that I am not a registered dietician!
I went to college for exercise science degree with a minor in nutrition and become a personal trainer. Over the past 15 years, I have done it all in the fitness world, and most recently, I reached one of my ultimate goal’s of co- owning two TITLE Boxing Clubs in Nashville, TN.
The Wellness Wednesday tips that I want to share today are very simple and what everyone should live by.
4 LIFE HACKS TO MAKING A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE EASY
- EAT WHOLE FOODS – This is such a simple concept to most, but the more processed your foods are, the harder it is for you to process them and the less nutrients you are receiving. Having digestion problems like constipation, bloating, or gas? Most likely, THIS IS WHY! (Hence why I am going to suggest some supplements towards the end for what your body is lacking)
- Numerous studies have demonstrated the health advantages of a diet based on fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes left in as natural a state as possible.
- The one food most people lack in their diet that has the most powerful ingredients to fuel your day are GREENS. (Ill share a great recipe with you below to easily increase your greens because I know its hard for some to eat and prepare them.)
- I am not knocking some of these diets out there, but they are QUICK FIXES. If you want real results, you have to make it a lifestyle change.
2. DRINK MORE WATER- As much as this might be common sense to most of you, I ALWAYS want to remind people of this because EVERYONE needs this reminder, including me. I can see a difference in 2 days of increased water consumption, but the TYPE of water you drink is important as well.
- BENEFITS: Increased Energy, promotes weight loss, flushes out toxins, improves skin complexion, boost immune system, natural headache remedy, prevents cramps and sprains.
- PH BALANCED WATER: For the past two years, I have been drinking Defiance Fuel. I didn’t realize the difference until I didn’t drink it for one month. It is a faster hydration that flushes out waste and toxins. Defiance fuel (PH BALANCED WATER) wont fill you up like most beverages, leaving you feeling bloated. THE SCIENCE: It stimulates water mobility in the cells, drives fluids inside your cell all without salt, chemicals, or corn syrups. Defiance Fuel is like 5 molecules holding hands so it is smaller and regular water is like 13 molecules holding hands so it doesn’t get in the cells like Defiance Fuel. DF is also at 7.4 Ph so the Body recognizes that as well and is the Perfect pH. Df will also help the nutrients deliver to the cells more efficiently because it penetrates the cells. I feel more energized and less bloated in my stomach when drinking this water. Keep in mind you need to be drinking at least 2 a day (preferably 3). Each case is 12 waters and if you do the 5 case challenge for the month, you can use my code Sheeva for $50 off.
3. SUPPLEMENTS: I’d like to specify that supplements aren’t NECESSARY for every person to consume, BUT most people need them because these days you aren’t consuming all the nutrients your body needs from the foods you are eating. 90 percent of the population doesn’t eat PERFECT.
- Does it matter which company you use? There is A LOT on the market and I’ve probably paid 1000’s of dollars to try them all. The company you are using IS IMPORTANT. Going to CVS and getting a specific vitamin might be a waste of money because many brands get flushed out with barely any absorption. I’ve even tried the Isagenix and Advocare companies and I just don’t believe in their products or methods, but that’s whole other blog post! HAHA!
- What has finally worked for me? After 17 years, I have rid my body of medications with my dedication to exercise, eliminating alcohol, my diet. What has allowed me to make the switch was finding the minerals and vitamins that my body has been depleted of for years due to those specific drugs. The main reason I love Le-Vel and the THRIVE LIFE is because their product is geared towards SIMPLICITY. LESS IS MORE. Its wearable nutrition and a quick process that makes it easy for me to keep up with. I no longer have to take 14 pills a day to get all the nutrients my body is lacking.
- What other supplements should I take? As much as id love to suggest 5-10 supplements that I love taking, it’s very important to know that those suggestions depend on your specific symptoms and issues you are having and what medications you are taking. Feel free to reach out to me if you need further assistance. I can also refer you to the experts that have helped me!
4. MAKE IT EASY TO BE HEALTHY: GUESS WHAT? You don’t have to spend 15 hours a week prepping meals and making it so challenging that you are bound to quit. Find recipes and tricks that are quick and easy. For the sake of me not writing a novel on those tricks, here is one that I recommend EVERYONE doing the first thing you wake up in the morning. If this doesn’t change your life (or at least your digestion and energy), I will be very surprised! Stay tuned for future recipes that I enjoy and take more no more than 15 minutes to make!
- DETOX GREEN SMOOTHIE: (I use the nutriBullet. QUICK AND EASY CLEAN UP. You can get it at COSTCO) Below I will list all the ingredients and put them in this order. I also buy these ingredients in bulk at Costco and they are good for two weeks. (LESS PREP!)
▪ AT LEAST 2 cups of spinach
▪ Half an apple
▪ Half a pear
▪ A piece of ginger (totally up to you how much you want to put in)
▪ A whole squeezed lemon
▪ 1 -2 cup of water (for those who want more of a juice) OR HALF A frozen banana for more of a smoothie.
Dietician Q & A with Anna at Kroger Little Clinic:
Keto diet: legit or fad diet? The keto diet is a fad diet – it is the same as Atkins which we know was very popular in the 90’s and 00’s.
Keto diet is it safe for everyone? It is best to check with your doctor first before beginning any type of restrictive eating plan. In this case you are drastically reducing your carbohydrate consumption so monitoring how you body adjusts to this shift is important. For some cases, this diet is prescribed by your doctor as medical nutrition therapy.
Best foods for our skin? Water helps our skin stay clear and hydrated! Aim for at least 64oz per day!
Best foods for energy? Food combinations as well as meal timing is the key to keeping your energy high throughout the entire day! Also some lifestyle factors such as movement/exercise and sleep play a key role in feeling your best.
How important is counting macros when trying to get healthy? If you are a numbers person this could be helpful for you! You are essentially keeping track of how many grams of carbohydrate, fat, and protein you are consuming daily. For others, this method can be overwhelming and cause more anxiety rather than benefits. Everyone is different in what works for them, but sometimes the basics is where people see the most results in my experience.
Which is better for cooking… olive oil, coconut oil or avocado oil? Avocado Oil – Unsaturated Fat, Good for cooking at high temperatures, and mild flavor (personal fav!), Olive Oil – also great, comes in spray varieties, Unsaturated Fat, Good for cooking at medium temperatures, but great for cold foods such as salad dressings, dips (like hummus), etc. Coconut Oil is a solid at room temperature, it is considered a saturated fat, good for medium heat cooking, and baking. Use a variety of oils to see the most benefits!
How much carbs should a diabetic eat at each meal? Any healthy food they should avoid? Ex. Fruits or regular potatoes This is pretty specific question – feel free to reach out to a dietitian or certified diabetes educator to help calculate how many carbohydrates you should consume per meal and snack. Diabetes is not so much about avoiding healthy foods, rather it is more the combinations of foods and trying to consume the best carbohydrate choices (think unprocessed, high fiber).
Best foods for women over 50? This varies too – it would depend kind of what is going on and what you’re hoping to improve! Fruits & veggies are always a win though!
What type of sugar is best? Stevia, Splenda, organic etc? Stevia is a sugar-alterative, contains zero calories, and is the most natural because it is an extract from a plant. Honey, Agave Nectar, Sugar, or Coconut Sugar all contain calories, but they are natural meaning they are not processed if that makes sense. Whichever you choose would be fine – I would just work on eliminating added sugars from your diet that can sneak in from breads, tomato sauces, bbq sauces, peanut butter, etc. We all can work on reducing our sugar consumption.
Opinions on shakeology? Not sure really about this one. Again, probably something that might give you a kick-start on your health goals, but might not be sustainable long-term.
Best stubborn belly fat cutting foods? More ‘whole’ foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and dairy. Cutting out the processed items and heavy sugar. Also increasing your exercise to include a combination of resistance as well as cardiovascular exercises.
What foods cause inflammation? Gluten? Sugar? Dyes? White flour? Dairy? Inflammation can be caused by the way your body processes or digests certain foods so again a very individualized question. What might cause inflammation in my body might have no effect on yours. Sorry I can’t be more specific. A dietitian can help you identify foods that are causing inflammation in your body by conducting an elimination diet – reach out for more help!
Opinion on whole 30? Do you recommend something better? Whole 30 is a good one because it puts the emphasis on cooking more, eating out less, proteins, and veggies!!! What I have noticed though is that after 30 days people usually fall off. Similar to any “fad diet”. My only negative about Whole 30 is that I don’t usually promote eliminating food groups from your diet unless you are experiencing side effects.
If you are interested in more detailed information you can speak with your local dietician by visiting www.thelittleclinic.com
This is A LOT of information and Sheeva and I are gonna dive more into detail as I plan to have her as a part of Wellness Wednesday pretty frequently. If you guys remember we did a few fitness posts earlier last year. She is a boss at what she does and I trust her 150%! I know you guys are going to love her insight just as much as I do. She inspires me daily. Follow her journey on Instagram, she gives such great health advice. Xo.